Monday, November 15, 2010

A Precious Moment

"Should a parent need added inspiration to commence his God-given teaching task, let him remember that the most powerful combination of emotions in the world is not called out by any grand cosmic event nor found in novels or history books—but merely by a parent gazing down upon a sleeping child."
Thomas S. Monson, "Only a Teacher: A Personal Observation," Ensign, May 1973, 27


I love those precious moments when "gazing upon a sleeping child" or watching your husband play with your little girl.  Every once in a while we receive these wonderful moments where it makes it all worth all the hard work.  You feel every ounce of love for your child.  On Sunday I had a free moment so I went to check on Olivia in Nursery. She has only been left in nursery without Mom or Dad for a couple weeks now.  As I was looking through the window and watching her color the picture of a little girl I started to cry.  I think it was a realization that my baby is growing so quickly.  She is still the tiniest thing in there.  She struggled to get into the little chair by herself.  As she colored she was constantly looking for approval and attention from the adults. It touched me. She is big enough to be a nursery girl.  All of my tender, loving, emotions for her came and I sat outside her door with tears in my eyes.  I truly love her and that moment reminded me.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom, Ashley. It's bitter sweet when we realize our little ones are growing. I catch myself in those moments as well. My first time (that I remember) was when I put Will's 3-6 month clothing away. He wasn't going to be that tiny infant that we brought home from the hospital anymore. It was sad and then happy...when I realized that this is what our Father in Heaven entrusted us with. He wanted us to raise up righteous sons and daughters in love. You're doing great. Great, great, great!!! Love ya hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love hearing that - you are a wonderful mother - so excited you will get to have another one soon. Love Mel

    ReplyDelete